Comparison Cat is a trading name of Comparison Tiger Limited which is registered in England with company number 12873799 and has its registered office at 16 Springfield Rise, Horsforth, Leeds, England, LS18 5DS. We respect the privacy of visitors to our website: comparisoncat.co.uk. Comparison Tiger Limited is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office; its registration number is ZA789986. When we refer to we, us, comparisoncat.co.uk, Comparison Cat, or Comparison Tiger we are referring to this company.
Our website address is: https://comparisoncat.co.uk.
Comparison Tiger Limited is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd (trading as Quotezone).
- Where you have provided the necessary consent on the Seopa Ltd quote form(s), Seaopa Ltd may send us certain personal information relating to you for the reasons which you have agreed to. We are then responsible and liable for the use and/or processing of that data.
This policy applies to all users of our website.
This policy applies to the information which we may hold about you. This includes:
- information which we may obtain about you from third parties (because you have given third parties permission to share that information with us);
- information you provide when you provide reviews.
2. Our obligations
We are a data controller in relation to the information that we collect and hold about you. As a result, we are legally responsible for how that information is handled by us. This policy only deals with how we handle personal data relating to you.
We will comply with data protection law in the way we use and share your personal data. Among other things, this means that we will only use your personal data:
- fairly and lawfully;
- as set out in the legislation and this policy;
- to the extent necessary for these purposes.
We will take every reasonable precaution to safeguard the personal information that you supply.
If you have any queries relating to our use of your personal information, or any other related data protection questions, please contact us by email at dataprotectionofficer @ comparisoncat.co.uk
3. Our services and the personal information we collect
If you give us your personal information, we will use it to provide you with the service and/or services you request.
Note that it is your responsibility to check and ensure that all information, content, material or data you provide on our website is correct, complete, accurate and not misleading and that you disclose all relevant facts.
We make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information (see section 12 Security below). We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for longer than is permitted by law (see section 7 below which details how long we keep your personal information for).
4. How we use your data and communications from us
We will use your data in the following ways:
- use of our services – we will use your personal data to provide you with the service and/or services you request.
- for research, such as analysing market trends and gathering information about how you use our website and pages you have viewed;
- to communicate with you as follows:
Being kept up to date by us
Where you tell us you are happy to receive information from us, we may send you communications which may include the following:-
- Further information about the services we offer
- New product launches
- Any interesting promotions run by us
- Opportunities to participate in market research or provide reviews about us
Depending on the contact preferences you select, we may communicate with you by email, SMS, post and telephone.
Annual renewal service
As part of our service, in conjunction with Seopa Ltd, we may also contact you by email and/or SMS and/or telephone around the anniversary of when you completed your quote in order to remind you to carry out a new quote for the forthcoming year. We believe that this is an important part of the service to help ensure you do not forget to renew your insurance. As part of this service Seopa Ltd may also resubmit your quote details to give you an idea of what your quotes could be for your next renewal. In order to provide this service to you, Seopa Ltd may send that information to their insurance providers so that they can calculate their quotes. When they do this, the insurance providers may carry out “soft” credit checks on you with credit reference agencies, and these checks may be performed ahead of the renewal date. You may see these “soft” credit checks on your credit report but they will have no impact on your credit rating.
If you don’t want to receive communications from us you can let us know at any time by unsubscribing via Seopa Ltd’s opt out centre or through this contact us page. You can use this unsubscribe option at any time. Also, if you initially decided to receive updates from us but then changed your mind, you can always use the unsubscribe link in our e-mail communications. You can also opt out of SMS contact (in addition to the above mentioned opt out options) by following the instructions on the SMS you receive – please note that you may be charged at your standard network rate for opting out in this way.
5. The legal basis for processing your personal information
Data protection law says that we are allowed to use personal information only if we have a proper reason to do so such as consent or legitimate interests.
Our grounds for processing your personal information are as follows:
1. Consent – Where we rely on this legal basis, we will collect and process your personal information only if you have given your consent for us to do so, for example, we will only send you certain marketing emails where you have agreed to this.
You can withdraw your consent at any time. Please contact us if you want to do so.
2. Legitimate Interests – A legitimate interest is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information. But even then, it must not unfairly go against what is right and best for you. We may use and process some of your personal information where we have legitimate business grounds for doing so. We have carried out a legitimate interest assessment in respect of each processing activity for which legitimate interest is our lawful basis. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
- 2.1 in relation to certain aspects of our services: the use of data processors in respect to the provision of the services (as described at section 6); processing any transaction between you and a third party; and tracking sales. Using your information in this way is an essential part of us being able to provide the services to you;
- 2.2 service communications: we need to keep you informed about your use of the services for example and in respect to the annual renewal service (see section 4 for more information);
- 2.3 to monitor and improve our service: we may use your personal information for research, such as analysing market trends and gathering information on how you use our website and pages you have viewed.
You have a right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests (please see section 11 below).
3. Contract – It may be necessary for us to process your personal information to perform a contract to which you are party (e.g. providing you with a service), or to take steps at your request to you entering into a contract.
6. With whom we share your personal information
When you use any of our services, we may disclose your personal information to the following parties:
- 1. Seopa Ltd
- 2. Regulatory or governing bodies
We may need to pass information including personal data such as to regulatory bodies if there is a legal or regulatory obligation for us to do so.
Where permitted by data protection and privacy law, we may also disclose information about you (including electronic identifiers such as IP addresses):
- if required or permitted to do so by law;
- if required to do so by any court, or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency;
- if necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings;
- in connection with the sale or potential sale of all or part of our business.
If we reasonably believe false or inaccurate information has been provided and fraud is suspected, details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering.
7. For how long do we retain your personal information
We also handle the above data for our own legitimate business interests including but not limited to, the keeping of records and accounts, staff training and monitoring, recording sales or quotation requests generated, and in marketing other similar services to you or reminding you if a renewal becomes due.
8. Do we pass data to third parties
9. Transferring your data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
From time to time there may be a requirement to process your personal data in other countries outside of the European Economic Area where data protection safeguards differ to those of the UK. Where this is necessary, we will ensure that your data is kept securely and only processed in accordance with the data protection legislation. Your use of our services will be considered to be an indication of your consent to this transfer.
10. Cookies and IP logging
When you visit our website, our server will automatically record your IP address and the time and duration of your visit. We may also use the records of the pages you visit on this website to analyse trends, administer the site and track your movements through the website so that we can improve the usability of and access to the website.
This website also uses Google Analytics to allow us to monitor how users use our website.
11. Privacy Rights
We respect the fact that your personal information is your information, so we want to be clear about what rights you have under data protection legislation and how you can exercise them.
- 1. The right to opt out of having your information used for marketing
Please see section 4 “How we use your data and communications from us”.
- 2. The right to have any inaccuracies in your personal information corrected
Please help us to help you by keeping your contact details up to date and letting us know if you spot any errors in the information we hold about you. If it is something you cannot correct yourself online, you should contact us at dataprotectionofficer @ comparisoncat.co.uk. We’ll update inaccuracies promptly, and within a month where possible if you are requesting a more complex change. If we take the decision not to make a change you have requested, we will explain why. If you disagree with our decision, you have the right to complain to the privacy regulator (details set out below).
- 3. Your ‘right of objection’ to certain activities
Data protection law gives you the right to express an objection to activities detailed in section 5 regarding legitimate interests. You may believe your privacy rights outweigh the legitimate interest we have as a business in doing those things. Please read that section carefully before getting in touch with us and note that exercising your right of objection may mean that the service your require will not be available to you.
If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we are continuing to process your personal information. If you disagree with our decision about this you have the right to complain to the privacy regulator.
- 4. Your right to erasure
You have the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems. Please see section 7 “For how long do we retain your personal information” before contacting us. If you still wish to exercise your right, you should contact us at dataprotectionofficer @ comparisoncat.co.uk and we will respond to your request within a month.
- 5. The right to access the data we hold about you
You have the right to request copies of the personal information we hold about you. Once we’ve received your request we will provide our response within one month. If your request is unusually complex and likely to take longer than a month, we will let you know as soon as we can and tell you how long we think it will take.
- 6. Your right to restrict our use of your information
You have the right to “block” us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it.
- 7. Your right to ‘Data Portability’
The right to ‘data portability’ aims to enable consumers to re-use some of their personal information online by making it available in a commonly-used, machine-readable format that can be passed to and used by other organisations.
- 8.Exercising your rights
The Data Protection Officer, 16 Springfield Rise, Horsforth, Leeds, England, LS18 5DS.
We reserve the right, where applicable, to request confirmation of your identity before taking action.
- 9.Your right to complain to the regulator
If you believe your privacy rights have been infringed, or you disagree with a decision we have made about your privacy rights, you have the right to complain to the privacy regulator. As we are based in the UK, our principal data protection regulator is the Information Commissioner’s Office, https://ico.org.uk/.
We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. We place a high priority on protecting and managing data in accordance with accepted standards.
We will also, where it’s appropriate, ensure that our website uses https to help keep information about you secure.
However, we can’t guarantee or warrant the security of any information which you send to us, and therefore you do so at your own risk. By using our website you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
Updated February 2021